The Ohio/Penn DX PacketCluster
DX Special Bulletin No. 1386.1
October 21, 2018
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)
Written/Sent From Strongsville, OH
Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX
Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet
Clusters Network, and the PIDXG for the following DX information.
VP6D ISLAND REPORT (October 22nd).
Good morning from Ducie Island.
We are progressing well.
- The main camp and kitchen are fully established and supplied with
food / water.
- The generator sites are built and supplied with fuel.
- The SSB camp, located at the main camp, is setup with 4 stations.
It is this camp which has been making all the SSB /CW QSOs using
VDAs. SteppIR beams go up today.
- Today the CW Camp and antennas are the priority. This camp is about
3/4 mile from the main camp. Equipment for this camp was landed at a
different location. About a 30 minute walk through the bush between
- There is very little beach at high tide.
- Over the next 2-3 days we'll complete the antenna work, including
30, 80 and 160. Because of the undergrowth stringing radials is a
challenge. SSB 40m 4 Square is complete, CW 40m 4 Square almost
- It's been very hot and humid. We've been told to expect some rain
possibly later today, heavy at times.
- Large 8 person sleeping tents house 3 men per tent, plenty of room.
- Signals on this end are loud. The team is in good spirits and eager
to get into a routine.
- We will upload the log this morning. When we put the/MM log online
there may be some errors with the times, we'll correct them, no need
to send e-mails.
- We know DXA dropped out a few times, this was due to power at the
network switch. The plan is to install a UPS on the network switch.
- 2 Braveheart crew members will remain on the island to support the
operation and generators.